Research Policy Analyst
To achieve FasterCures’ mission of saving lives by saving time, scientific programs and policies need to be implemented at the federal level that support and accelerate innovative medical research and widespread availability of best treatments. FasterCures needs to have a strong grasp of the current state of innovation and research programs throughout a variety of government agencies, and identify or create opportunities for policies to accelerate progress.
The research policy analyst will be on-point to ensure FasterCures has a clear understanding of federal agencies’ role in turning medical research into therapies, and have in-depth understanding of the how the legislative environment can facilitate or impede agencies’ efforts.
This position requires strong abilities to pursue in-depth research, apply sound analytical judgment, and develop well-written outputs. Day-to-day tasks would include:
- Produce real-time analysis on developments of initiatives vital to the medical research ecosystem, such as:
- FDA regulatory science strategic plan
- FDA guidance development
- Translational research at NIH, including tracking of the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) as it gets under way, and intersection with industry to speed up drug development
- Foundation for NIH
- FDA’s Reagan-Udall Foundation
- NIH Clinical Center activities
- Health information technology implementation as it pertains to research
- Intersection of CMS innovation center activities and medical research
- Intellectual property policies at the NIH, National Science Foundation, and other science agencies
- Innovative programs at the 27 institutes, including National Cancer Institute
- President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology activities
- Office of Science and Technology Policy activities
- Overall Department of Health and Human Services activity on privacy protections in research.
- Work closely with FasterCures program staff to inform priorities and ensure these align with policy objectives.
- Serve as a liaison to all project teams and apply knowledge gained through tracking and monitoring.
- Inform and counsel FasterCures leadership on applicable policies, legislation, regulations, programs and policies, and other issues and trends as they relate to biomedical research.
- Develop position statements, white papers, and other written materials as needed that effectively communicate FasterCures’ perspectives.
- Three to five years of experience that can be directly translated to the requirements of this position.
- Demonstrated experience in and expertise on how policies and federal programs impact medical research progress. Such experience can be gained from working on Capitol Hill (key committees or offices that pertain directly to medical research); working for policy think tank that deals with medical research and development issues; or working at an advocacy or policy consulting group.
- Strong understanding of the policy development process – at the federal level as well as within federal agencies like the FDA, NIH, and CMS.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, experience writing briefing documents and providing targeted presentations (ability to share examples is a plus).
- Demonstrated knowledge of the biomedical research landscape, specifically research infrastructure and resources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Capitol Hill and the legislative process.
- Strong project management skills.
- Desire to be part of an evolving organization and to contribute to its growth and reputation.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who takes initiative and demonstrates sound judgment.
- Ability to be flexible, to maintain a good sense of humor, and to keep a global perspective.
FasterCures is an “action tank” that works to improve the medical research system — so that we can speed up the time it takes to get important new medicines from discovery to patients. To be considered for this position, please send cover letter, salary history, and resume to Lisa Simms at email@example.com.
An equal opportunity employer, we provide excellent benefits, including medical/dental, LTD, life insurance, a flex spending program, and retirement savings plan.